Blog Archives

DetectAndroidTablet() Updated

Those > and < marks get me every freakin’ time… I just uploaded a new version of the MobileESP code to fix a bug I introduced in the last update in DetectAndroidTablet(). Please accept my apologies for that! Thank you to René B.

Posted in Code Updates, General

Updated: Fixed issues related to Opera Mini on Android

Hi, folks — Here we go again on the Opera mobile browser ride…  🙂 So last week, we fixed the inaccurate detection results for the very good Opera Mobile browser on Android. This week, it’s the Opera Mini browser’s turn!

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Updated: Fixed issues related to Opera Mobile on Android

Hi, folks — The Opera Mobile browser for Android is great. Unfortunately, the Opera dev team doesn’t follow Google’s guidelines for constructing useragent strings properly. As a result, the Opera Mobile browser on Android phones was falsely reporting itself as

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Updated: Added Support for WebOS Tablet Detection

Hi, folks — I updated the code libraries to include support for detecting the new WebOS tablet called the HP TouchPad. The new method is called DetectWebOSTablet(). This method has been added to: PHP, JavaScript, Java, and both ASP.NET bases.

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Updated DetectTierIphone() for all Libraries

Hi, folks — Dan R.’s keen eye spotted an issue with the BlackBerry Style 9670. It was erroneously reported as an iPhone Tier device, when it’s not. (It’s non-touch but does run the new BlackBerry WebKit browser.) Dan suggested a

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Updated: PHP, JavaScript, Java & ASP.NET

Hi, folks — Summer is here! And the mobile device avalanche is just about ready to begin in earnest… There were a few outstanding things that needed to be taken care of, especially some refactoring among the Android detection methods.

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Updated: PHP Code

Gary L. pointed out that there was a misspelling in the DetectMobileQuick() function in the PHP code. Unfortunately, the “DetectIpad()” had been spelled with the wrong capitalization. That error is now fixed & uploaded to the code repositories. (I double checked the

Posted in Code Updates

Updated: Better Support for Tablets & WP7 Movement

Hi, folks! This is just a quick note to let you know that I updated the MobileESP code to provide better support for tablets. I also made an update regarding Windows Phone 7 whose Internet Explorer 7-based browser isn’t great.

Posted in Code Updates, Mobile Web Site Design, MobileESP APIs

Updated: Added Support for Google TV

Now that GoogleTV devices have been publicly released, it’s time to update the MobileESP code bases with support for it. We’ve added a new method for detecting Google TV in the Android section: DetectGoogleTV() This method is now available for

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Updated: Disambiguate between ‘PDA’ and ‘Update’

This afternoon, we got an alert from Ilia with a suggested fix. Ilia pointed out that the algorithm which detects for a device using “PDA” in its user agent string will also be triggered when it encounters the word “update”

Posted in Code Updates

Updated: Added Support for BlackBerry OS 6

BlackBerry launched the new Torch on August 3, the first device running the new OS 6 with a brand new WebKit-based browser. At last! A first class browser finally makes it to the BlackBerry platform! Word on the street is

Posted in Code Updates

Updated: Better iPad Handling, Improved Windows Mobile Detection

I just uploaded the code bases for the following issues: In the DetectIphone() method, added a call so that the Apple iPad does not provide a false positive. (We also do this so that iPod Touches don’t report themselves as

Posted in Code Updates