Updated: Fixed issues related to Opera Mobile on Android

Hi, folks —

The Opera Mobile browser for Android is great. Unfortunately, the Opera dev team doesn’t follow Google’s guidelines for constructing useragent strings properly. As a result, the Opera Mobile browser on Android phones was falsely reporting itself as running on Android tablets rather than phones. Thanks to all of those who wrote in about it!

So I made the following fixes to get things working right:

  • Created 2 new methods:  DetectOperaAndroidPhone() and  DetectOperaAndroidTablet(). Although I dislike creating new methods willy nilly, these methods better encapsulate the Opera-specific issues and let’s us better track them over time if Opera continues to play by their own rules.
  • Updated DetectAndroidPhone() and DetectAndroidTablet() to properly detect devices running Opera Mobile.
  • Updated DetectMaemoTablet() to also disambiguate against Android.
  • Updated DetectTierIphone(). I removed the Maemo detection for two reasons. One was the false positives on Android (before the above fix). The other is that Nokia has discontinued the device and it’s more than 2 years old, so device usage probably has plummeted. Note that Maemo still detects in the quick mobile method!

I also made a few minor bug fixes that prevented the two C# code files from compiling properly. (Thanks, Marco!)

Please download the latest version of your favorite flavor of MobileESP! All code bases were updated: PHP, JavaScript, Java, and the two ASP.NET (C#) files.


Owner of the MobileESP project. For the latest source code downloads, visit: https://github.com/ahand/mobileesp

Posted in Code Updates, MobileESP APIs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *